Interested in Orient Bliss Weeklong Dance Intensive? Register NOW!
Seattle First Oriental Bliss Weeklong Dance Intensive
June 20-26, 2016
Fri 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Sat 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Sat & Sun 1 hour lunch break
Early bird before April 15, 2015
$225 entire weekend workshops ONLY or $275 entire weekend package.
Before May 30, 2015 $275 entire weekend workshops ONLY or $300 entire weekend package.
After July 1, 2014 $325 entire weekend workshop ONLY.
Advance registration ONLY!!!
All registrations are FINAL and NON-REFUNDABLE; however, you can transfer your registration to someone else.
LIMITED ENTIRE WEEKEND PACKAGE includes:
12+ hours workshops
A guarnteed dance slot in Saturday Participants Hafla
A ticket to Friday night show at Delilah's House Concert with House of Tarab, Helena Vlahos, Delilah & Roxy
FRIDAY 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
The Belly Dancer Masters Q & A at Zamani World Dance
And more ...
Come with your questions or send them to Roxy by 12:00 AM July 15, 2015.
SATURDAY 10:00 AM-4:00 PM 1 hour break at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bothell
The Sensual Chiftetelli
Chiftetelli is often the first rhythm belly dancers learn to recognize, yet it holds its magnetic charm through our entire dance careers! The intricate rhythm starts to feel natural, freeing the dancer to become creative and explore new movements and different connections to the music. Helena, having danced to the Chiftetelli countless times, will open the doors to the multitudes of possibilities for creative musical interpretation within this rich, and multi-layered rhythm, bringing new life and classic beauty to your belly dance.
Vintage Cabaret with 6 Parts
1) Fast: Entrance with Traveling Steps and Turns. The veil is wrapped around your body in your favorite style to be used in your first slow piece of music which is after the entrance.
2) Slow: Bolero or Rumba will be used in your first slow part. We will manipulate the veil in artistic and tastefully sensual movements. At the end of this section you will discard the veil to prepare for the next section of your dance.
3) Medium: Maqsum, Balady or Saidi with sassy combinations to spice up your dance with these popular rhythms
4) Slow: Chiftetelli Combos using Hip Circles, Figure Eights, Mayas, Sways, Camels and their variations where each move melts into the next with graceful arms to compliment your every move with Helena’s classic stylization.
5) Drum Solo: We have so many choices of drum solos. Some are fast and exciting, some slower and more playful, some have a lot of rhythm changes. This is a great part of our dance to draw our audience in. In this section we are building up to our finale.
6) Finale: A short exciting finale will follow using moves as in the Entrance. Our music can be the same as our entrance music but cut down to about 30 seconds to one minute.
SUNDAY 9:30 AM-3:30 PM 1 hour break at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bothell
Helena Vlahos' jaw-dropping abdominal work has earned her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records, and more than a modicum of respect from anyone who's ever been lucky enough to see this incredible feat in person!
This workshop will teach you how to manipulate the abdominals. You will learn the secret of first isolating and then contracting the belly muscles, which will lead to belly rolls and flutters. This class will also include an introduction to rolling quarters and dollar bills.
Drills, Combos, A Capella & Zill pattern progression. Realizing that the "complex" patterns you hear are made up of simple patterns you already know. We can create new patterns from patterns like the single strike, the 2 pattern, the 3 pattern. When we put them together in certain combinations, we can create rhythmic sounds to accompany a complex piece of music with many rhythm changes. Or we can accompany ourselves in a zill solo or a capella. When we practice many hours, we sound like part of the orchestra or great alone with our zills.
About Helena Vlahos
Helena Vlahos is the bellydance legend and master teacher!
Helena Vlahos is a precise, energetic performer & instructor with a wealth of knowledge to share! She teaches improvisation and choreography, zills, veil, cane, arms, hip articulations, upper body, belly work (with quarters & dollars), and rhythms with zills (beledy, Maqsum, saidi, chifte telli, 9/8 & 6/8 to name a few).
She is a legendary belly dancer who is well known for her “Nine Quarter and Dollar Bill Act”. She is in the Guinness Book of World Records for Unique Abdominal Dexterity.
Helena started her dance career in Los Angeles, California in the mid 1960's. She moved to Texas in 1971, where she was asked to perform at various Greek nightclubs. While there, she ran and operated two belly dance schools.
Helena moved back to Los Angeles in 1978 and was invited to perform her unique act on television shows such as “AM Los Angeles”, “That's Incredible”, “Spectacular World of Guinness Records” and many more.
In 1990 Helena moved to Phoenix, Arizona, where she taught classes at numerous colleges, dance studios and resorts. She also found time to perform at the Bacchanal Greek Restaurant.
She is on the Executive Panel of Judges for Tonya & Atlantis' Belly Dancer of the Universe Competition every February in Long Beach, California.
Helena has mentored dancers who have gone on to win titles in competitions including the BDUC.
Helena’s finger cymbals can be heard on Damon the Gypsy’s original (1969) and re-mastered (2009) album “Song of a Gypsy” and in his new re-mixed album “Gypsy Eyes”. Damon has a new DVD “Dance Little Gypsy” in which Helena has a featured part.
Helena moved back to Los Angeles in the fall of 2011, where she teaches and performs when not traveling for master workshops.
Question about registration Contact Roxy!
Hilton Garden Inn in Bothell, WA
22600 Bothell Everett Highway
Bothell, WA 98021